Treasurer's Department

Wanda Simpson, Treasurer, 9212 Winterberry Avenue, Suite F, Covington, VA 24426

(540) 863-6630

Back to Home Page

Table of Contents:

1.  Tax Relief

2.  Vehicle Decals

3.  Miscellaneous Taxes

4.  Personal Property Tax Relief Act (PPTRA)

5.  Public Works Department

6.  Transfer Station


Tax Relief

Senior Citizens and Disability Real Estate Tax Relief: Your County Government provides a tax relief program for the elderly, based on income and net worth.  This program is administered by the Commissioner of the Revenue.

Land Use Assessment: The Land Use Assessment Program for tracts of five acres or more is designed to preserve farm land, as well as wooded and horticultural areas in the County.  Tax assessments under the Land Use Program are generally lower than those at fair market value.  The program is a deferral of taxes and not a total abatement.  Taxpayers who are interested in participating can obtain information from the Commissioner of the Revenue as to the qualifying acreage and specific application fees and deadlines.

Back to Table of Contents


Vehicle License Fee

Beginning, January 1, 2012 the vehicle license fee shall commence on January 1 of each year and shall expire at 12:00 midnight on December 31 of the same year.  License fees for the transition year of January 1 through December 31, 2012, shall be prorated for all motor vehicles with a current county license decal that expires April 14, 2012.  For those vehicles with a license decal expiring on April 14, 2012, the license fee shall be 0.66 times the license fee rate for 2012.  No other prorations shall be made.  

Back to Table of Contents


Miscellaneous Taxes

Dog Tags: All dogs, four months or older, must have a County dog tag.  These are sold all year in the Treasurer's Office.  You must provide proof of your dog's rabies vaccination.  The annual deadline for purchasing a dog license is January 31.  

Business License Tax: The Commissioner of the Revenue administers an annual tax on businesses located in the County.  Licenses are issued for each calendar year.  The tax is based on the gross receipts of the previous calendar year.  For further information, please contact the Commissioner of the Revenue's Office at (540) 863-6640.

Meals Tax: Any person selling prepared food consumed on or off the sellers' premises is required to register and collect a 4% meals tax.  Remittance will be made on or before the twentieth day of each month covering the amount of tax collected during the preceding month.  Forms may be obtained from the Commissioner of the Revenue.  Payments should be made to the Alleghany County Treasurer.

State and Estimated Income Tax: May be filed with the Commissioner of the Revenue.  Payments are made to the Treasurer.

Back to Table of Contents


Personal Property Tax Relief Act (PPTRA)

Personal Property Tax Relief Act: Tax on the first $20,000 of value of your personal car, motorcycle, and pickup or panel truck under 7,501 pounds, which is a qualifying vehicle, has been reduced by 27.5% in 1999.  In future years it is scheduled to be reduced by 47.5% for the year 2000, 70% for 2001, and 70% for 2002.  For qualifying vehicles valued at $1,000 or less, your obligation to pay this tax has been eliminated.  These reductions are based on local tax rates in effect on August 1, 1997.  Vehicles are qualified by the Commissioner of the Revenue.  

Back to Table of Contents


Public Works Department

The County Public Works Department is located at 9212 Winterberry Avenue and  provides water and sewer to area County residents.  The County Public Works Department is responsible for residential garbage and refuse collection from all State maintained roads county-wide.  There is no charge for this once-a-week pickup.  For business pickups please contact the Public Works Department.

An overnight truck for additional refuse pickup is available to County residents.  Arrangements for the truck to be left can be made through the Public Works Department.

The County Public Works Department should also be contacted for information concerning the following: Zoning, County Planner, Building Permits, Erosion and Sediment Control, and Water and Sewer connections. 

You may contact the Public Works Department at (540) 863-6650 or visit them at Departments under Public Works.

Back to Table of Contents


Transfer Station

Alleghany County opened the transfer station in July of 1996 and it is located on Valley Ridge Road.  The transfer station is open to County residents only (including the Town of Iron Gate), Monday thru Friday from 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. and on Saturday from 8:00 a.m. to noon.  Only acceptable waste as allowed under Virginia Regulations VA672-20-10, Section 5.1.C.16 shall be deposited at the transfer station.  For questions concerning acceptable waste, fees, holiday hours, etc., contact the Transfer Station Superintendent at (540) 965-1626.

Back to Table of Contents


All items contained within these pages are for information use only.